Enjoy the Summer Afloat
by Mike Yancey
As mentioned in last month’s commentary, that I was getting ready to go to Classics Cruisin’ at Table Rock, I can now report that this was a great event. There was the opportunity for lots of cruising, both long distances as well as more moderate lengths, as always plenty of food for consumption along with great conversation, and a well-attended “boat show” at the docks of Rock Lane Lodge on Saturday. Don Parker and John Davenport hosted a “Kids Event” called Paint-A-Boat which was a success and is planned to be a part of our next event Mahogany & Chrome Classic Boat Show.
Call of Action
I am voicing a Call of Action for volunteers, to help with the various event tasks, stations and activities. Mahogany & Chrome Classic Boat Show is scheduled for September 6th – 9th at Grand Lake O’The Cherokees, Co-Chairpersons Kathleen Barrett and Chuck Gibbs.
Please let the event chairs know of your willingness to become a volunteer and help continue to make Heartland Classics Chapter next event a success!
With respect to the completion of the recent, Classics Cruisin,’ and since I have been attending Heartland Classics events the past 9 years using my 1979 Caravelle, I had the humbling experience of having to be towed, for the first time. Not exactly sure, yet, what the source of the problem is, but the symptoms are less than a ½ tank of fuel and slowing from a cruising speed to idle, and when the engine immediately dies and is unable to re-start until I add several gallons of fuel, even though my tank is not empty. Initial guesses of a fuel pickup tube beginning to disintegrate to a bad fuel pump will be the beginning of troubleshooting.
Nevertheless, it was a great event to see many members again along with the wide variety of boats with a good mixture of wood as well as fiberglass.
Let’s Keep Boating
Following Classics Cruisin’, we are in a long stretch of almost 3-months before our next, regularly planned annual event Mahogany & Chrome Classic Boat Show, September 6th – 9th held on Grand Lake at Arrowhead Yacht Club & Marina located in Afton, Oklahoma.
I think the primary reason for having this interlude is due to the fact that in this part of the country, the heat can be brutal during this time of year, which is experienced to a greater degree by the boaters that do not have a bimini or other type of cover to block the sun’s intense rays. But that does not mean “no boating” as there are other options for staying comfortable, so keep on boating.
Sponsor an Event
In last year’s communication of July’s From the Helm, I encouraged anyone and everyone to reach out to members nearby and schedule a day of cruising. Once again, I ask all to be proactive and plan to drop anchor and raft up and cool off in the water, before climbing back on-board and cruising some more. If you need some assistance identifying nearby members and contact information, just call or drop me an email. Also, an email can be sent out to the entire membership so that others willing to travel can also be included.
Join Other Chapter Events
This being the vacation and travel season for many, there are ample opportunities to join other Chapters hosting activities across the U.S. Other chapters are more than ready to welcome visitors and the opportunity to make new friends cannot be overstated. Bringing a boat is NOT required. Some of the events that you might consider, depending on when and where you are traveling are listed below and more information about each event can be found at the ACBS website under News and Events:
- July 12th thru 15th – The 29th Annual Chris-Craft Rendezvous of the Pacific Northwest will be held at the Port Orchard City Marina in the historic town of Port Orchard, Washington. Up to 80 classic Chris-Crafts are expected to attend.
- July 13th thru 14th – 16th Annual Antique and Classic Boat Show in beautiful Sandpoint Idaho. There will be more than 50 Antique and Classic boats on display on the water.
- July 13th and 14th – Glacier Lakes Antique and Classic Boat Rendezvous at South Bay Marina in Green Bay Wisconsin.
- July 14th – Lexington Antique and Classic Boat show in the Public Harbor in Lexington, Michigan.
- July 14th – The Legacy of the Lakes Summer Showcase isa day-long event taking place on Saturday, July 14 at the Legacy of the Lakes Museum in Downtown Alexandria, Minnesota.
- July 14th – Water Wonderland Chapter South Arms Classic at East Jordan, Michigan at Memorial Park.
- July 13th thru 14th – Southern New England Chapter Vintage Treasures Boat Show at the Connecticut River Museum in Essex, Connecticut.
- July 14th thru 20th – Annual Chautauqua Lake Twin Tier Chapter Antique & Classic Boat Show at the Casino Docks and Village Park in Bemus Point, New York.
- July 20th thru 22nd – 40th Thousand Islands Vintage Boat Show Weekend at the Alexandria Bay Town Docks in Alexandria Bay, New York.
- July 21st thru 22nd – 36th Annual Antique Boat Show at Keuka Lake, Depot Park in Hammondsport, New York -July 21st – Annual Antique and Classic Boat Show at City Park Sea Wall in Clear Lake Iowa.
- July 21st – Annual Indian Lake ACBS Vintage Boat Show at Russell’s Point Harbor in Russell’s Point, Ohio.
- July 27th thru 29th – 40th Annual Finger Lakes Antique & Classic Boat Show at the village pier in Clift Park in Skaneateles, New York.
Please contact me if you want to provide comments and/or suggestions via email, phone or mail.
P.O. Box 269, Ketchum, OK 74349
Enjoy the summer, make new friends, and stay afloat!
Hope to see ya’ soon!